Way back in June 2009 the Purl Bee posted this oilcloth bag pattern and I fell instantly in love. I immediately ordered a few yards of the oilcloth, thinking that I could make the bags as gifts. Well, for some reason, that project fell to the bottom of the list and the oilcloth has sat in its shipping tube under a table for all this time.
Fast forward to now. One of the projects I have been working on lately is helping with the PS 321 Holiday Shop called STUFF YOU SHOULD BUY. My focus has been reaching out to all the talented people I can think of and asking them to be part of the sale. Then, at one of our planning meetings it occurred to me that there are a lot of people like me who make things, but would never think of themself as a possible vendor. I decided to put together a table of things made by parents (or friends and family) of children at the school. I am gathering donations and will donate the proceeds to the school.
Of course, this means I need to make some stuff to contribute to the table too! As I was brainstorming I rememebered the gorgeous oilcoth bags. As I set out to make one, I was not paying close enough attention, and cut the fabric in the wrong direction. The last thing I wanted to do was waste the precious oilcloth so I had to figure out how to correct the problem. As I pieced together another strip to compensate for the mistake it changed the proportion of the bag, but somehow I loved it. I decided not to add the handles either. I love it as a storage bin for Bea's doll clothes and stuffed toys. I am not sure I will part with this one...it may have to live here. But I still have lots more oilcloth...so, more bins, and maybe some actual tote bags will be made soon!